Any software cannot run in a completely similar way all the time. Software development activity is always a part of it, where small and substantial changes continue in different phases.
Reinventing products with new features and functions is the only way to sustain in today’s business environment and meet the emerging requirement of the market. Software change brings reinvention.
These changes sometimes affect the functioning and performance of the software. Hence, to avoid any malfunctioning because of the modification and update to the code, regression testing is performed.
Regression testing tools detect any bugs that are caused because of the new changes applied. The old version of the software is tested in the latest version and then compared to see the response of the software’s capabilities in terms of the old functionalities.
End-to-End Testing on real iOS, Android Devices & Browsers
Why do you Need Regression Testing?
Regression testing tools develop the software applications by changing, adding, and eliminating any existing features or functions. For example:
- Adding a new feature:
- When a software application is downloaded, it allows the user to log in through their email credentials.
- However, the new feature also allows you to log in through Facebook. Here, regression testing comes into the picture and checks if the old log-in with email credentials works accurately or not.
2. Change Requirements and defects are fixed:
- You log in through user id and password; however, the password option is removed from the first page for faster and straightforward login, this is a change that is executed.
- While logging in, if the login button pops up an error, the developers resolve the issue. Post that, the automation regression testing is executed to check the fixed log-in functionalities.
3. Resolving operating issues:
- If the software application is slower while operating, a few codes are modified, and the load time is decreased, let’s say from 7 seconds to 3 seconds. This may affect the software and create glitches in the functionalities.
- Here again, regression testing tools are executed to check any issue disturbing the operation and performance of the software.
How to Select Regression Testing Tools for Web Applications?
Once you are sure enough about the duration and the opportunity of the project and you see there is a requirement of upfront efforts to execute automation, you must choose the best regression testing tools that comprise the following features.
- User-friendly tools anyone can use, a non-technical person can also pull off the test
- Uninterrupted integration of TFS DevOps incorporation that includes builds and deployments
- Capable of managing the entire QA process, from test creation to comprehensive reporting
- A tool that works efficiently in multiple environments, multiple browsers, and multiple platforms and servers
- The tool should provide keyword and facts-driven testing
Along with the above properties, it is also imperative that the tool is reliable, scalable, and easy to maintain. Continuous technical support where 24*7 customer service is available. Regression testing tools are full of conceptualization and logic and are community-based.
Read Also: Regression Testing In Agile
Things to Consider While Using the Automated Regression Testing Tools:
- Planning and targeting the QA strategy is a must. Once you have identified the correct tool to optimize the QA procedure, create sufficient time in the product and service’s life process, and find out where the QA fits most appropriately.
- It is to check if the automated regression testing tools can test every story and if yes, then what kind of approach is required.
- Identifying those test cases that need an update, modification and automation is the critical aspect and is the most essential at the same time.
- In those activities where a lot of manual intervention is required, there the chances of human error increase and are time-consuming. Hence, after finding out those kinds of areas where the manual work gets complex to perform, automation is implemented to make the work easier.
- Early and regular testing is the effective way. When regular testing happens, it detects the bugs at an early stage, and the impact on the project decreases. Prevention is always better than cure.
- Also, if the bugs are detected early, they consumed less time while fixed. The cost of resolving the issue also decreases compared to discovering a bug at the time of production deployment.
- Incorporating a QA and development team together makes the work easier. When the Automation and development team work collectively, the process becomes more seamless to achieve the target within the expected time.
- It also eliminates any miscommunication leading to an increase in the efficiency of the individuals, and the entire development cycle works effortlessly under close monitoring.
- Building standard quality test data is another significant function. Once the testing is executed and the outcome is up to the mark, using an external data source to check the reliability of automated tests, whether they are reusable and easy to care for or maintain, is essential. To add various test cases and scenarios, files are extended.
- Implementing tests considering UI resistant change factors. It means establishing the tests that are not reliable on location-based coordinates, where to find an object, unique names are not mandatory to provide for various control sections.
- That means the testing is not dependent and limited to any particular data and cannot be collapsed because of any UI change. This way, a stable script is built that works.
Regression Testing Tools with Features, Pros, Cons, and Price:
Selenium is one of the most in-demand tools for regression testing that provides a single interface where the test scripts are composed in various programming languages like Python, Java, PHP, C#, etc.
It is an open-source industry-standard tool used to automate website browsers. It is a collection of various tools altogether. Jason Huggins, an engineer by profession, introduced it in 2004.
Features of SELENIUM:
- Usability: Anyone who wants to develop the state of their web page can use it.
- Multiple Browsers: Supports different browsers like google chrome, opera, edge, Firefox, etc
- User friendly: Anyone can launch any browser with a few simple commands and navigation
- Multiple language support: One can write test scripts in various languages
- No Server Installation: It directly interacts with the browser, and so, it requires no extra server installation
- Fast execution: It directly connects with the browser making the execution faster
- Parallel Test: One can execute parallel testing leading to efficient tests in less time
Pros of SELENIUM:
- Selenium uses fewer tools to perform the testing automation
- It integrates uninterrupted integration and incessant delivery
- Selenium can automate unit testing, regression testing, automated browser testing
- It is widely used for developing the web domain
- Selenium is portable and open-source and can be downloaded from its official website
Cons of SELENIUM:
- Only compatible with web application testing
- Mobile automation is not possible through Selenium
- It does not automate Captcha or barcodes
- No inbuilt reporting function
- It is inaccurate with dynamic pages
- Cannot test the images
- High skills needed to perform automation
- Dependency is on Cucumber for reporting purposes
Cost: Selenium is an expensive tool compared to the value it provides. The cost of one user is $2,800. With an extra $850, you can add further machines and users.
2. IBM RATIONAL FUNCTIONAL TESTER:
IBM Rational Functional Tester is an automated regression testing tools that offer data-driven testing, functional testing, and GUI testing. It improves the testing quality.
It supports a wide range of web-based and desktop automated testing applications such as Adobe, AJAX, Flex, SAP, SIEBEL, Net JAVA, DOJO, etc. It is fundamentally used by the Quality Assurance people who execute visual regression testing tools.
Features of IBM RATIONAL FUNCTIONAL TESTER:
- Visual editing Software: The testers can use the screenshots to understand the flow of the test and can edit actions without even reading and writing the codes of the test script.
- Up-to-date Script Assure: One of the unique features of ScriptAssure technology allows the testers to deal with regular user interface issues. It also diminishes the maintenance overhead.
- Before-time data detection: This rational functional tester automatically records data during test recording. It gives data-driven output.
- Incorporate with other software: IBM Rational Functional tester provides IBM Jazz through which other software can collaborate and perform testing.
- Test Script: You can either choose visual basic .Net or Java for your test scripts. Java works fine on the Eclipse Java editor, whereas visual basic net is best for the visual studio.
Pros of IBM RATIONAL FUNCTIONAL TESTER::
- We can track the real-time performance of testing metrics
- Trouble-free parameterization of test data
- A test schedule option is available to check the performance from time to time
- Server Resource Monitoring
- Reports are extracted in HTML Reports
Cons of IBM RATIONAL FUNCTIONAL TESTER::
- Gaining a license is a little expensive
- The application overtakes a lot of memory from the system
- Customized scripting becomes difficult at times
- UI and user experience still require attention
Read Also: Regression Testing In Agile
3. MICRO FOCUS UNIFIED FUNCTIONAL TESTING (UFT):
MICRO FOCUS UNIFIED FUNCTIONAL TESTING (UFT) formerly known as QuickTest Professional. It is a software specialized in functional and automated regression testing tools for various applications.
It supports a Keyword interface and scripting graphical user interface. It deals with Visual basic script language. The testers can perform testing for all the three levels, such as the interface, service layer, and database layer.
Features of MICRO FOCUS UNIFIED FUNCTIONAL TESTING (UFT):
- Enterprise-grade AI: AI boosts high speed and efficiency and reduces time to create tests, and expands the capability of testing
- Multi-platform experience: Supports distinct languages, platforms, devices and delivers high quality across browsers, devices, and platforms
- Integrates with tools: It integrates and collaborates easily with other tools across the lifecycle and improves the testing resilience
- Hassle-free device management: With its simple device and emulators, it makes the testing efficient and flexible.
Pros of MICRO FOCUS UNIFIED FUNCTIONAL TESTING (UFT):
- No need to write the codes. It can write on its own
- Software is not cumbersome and is simple to use
- It is not expensive compared to other automated regression testing tools
- User-friendly tool
- Integration with other products is seamless
Cons of MICRO FOCUS UNIFIED FUNCTIONAL TESTING (UFT):
- The remote machine needs to be on throughout the test run, or else it leads to instability
- Programming expertise is needed to write scripts. Not everyone can use
- Integration with other tools is an expensive exercise
- Licensing is very costly
4. SAHI PRO:
Sahi Pro is an open-source regression testing software used for automation, compatible with web applications, mobile applications, and desktops. Those who wish for rapid and worthy automation choose Sahi Pro.
Features of SAHI PRO:
- Straightforward and influential APIs: Sahi Pro effortlessly identifies elements, works fine with databases and files, and interacts with web, desktop, and mobile devices.
- Automatic Waits: The application performs the testing in no time. It eliminates the wait statement. The tests remain stable and do not fail because of timing issues.
- Robust object identification: It identifies the components across technologies. Object spy and recorder guess the exact characters from scripting.
- Business-driven test: It is a business-driven test automation structure. You can integrate thousands of scripts in a suite file, and it will execute the testing parallelly in one system.
- Complete Log Storage: All logs are stored in the database, from summaries to comprehensive lines of script failure in code. It provides end-to-end reporting.
Pros of SAHI PRO:
- Simple spreadsheets interface are used for organizing scripts for automation
- In just one click, the automation suite is built
- One can save up to 70% time on executing the test scripts, saving time
- Failure can also be tracked in just one click
- No programmers are required, so, anyone can do the regression testing
- You can automate anything without changing anything
- Easiest integration experience
- They offer free trials
Cons of SAHI PRO:
- Customer support is not that efficient during US hours
- The visibility is not yet in the mass
Cost: The per month cost is $58.00
WATIR is an automation testing software for web browsers based on Ruby Library. It is pronounced as ‘Water’. It is purely dependent on the Ruby language. Ruby language helps Watir to connect through databases, files, and other elements. It also helps in exporting XML functionalities. Cross-browser testing is available. Integration of various tools and systems is seamless.
Features of WATIR:
- Free Open-Source: Watir is a free and open-source regression testing tools
- It is popular in the emerging community of professionals and individuals
- It uses the Ruby language and does not depend on any sole vendor script
- It can furnish support to multiple browsers on different platforms
Pros of WATIR:
- Watir is based on an advanced Ruby library
- It has an affluent API
- Operating is trouble-free, and even non-technical people can also use
- It automatically waits until the page completes loading
- The testing is straightforward
- Multiple browsers can be supported
Cons of WATIR:
- Learning Ruby language is mandatory
- To operate each browser, a distinct library is required
Cost: Free of cost
6. TEST COMPLETE:
It contains the option of record and replay which is very helpful in terms of creating the automated UI Tests. This tool is compatible with various web browsers, configurations, and OS.
Features of TEST COMPLETE:
- Visual recognition Engine: TestComplete helps in identifying the dynamic UI components with property-based and visual recognition.
- Data-driven test: It gives data-oriented test results where you can separate data from test commands easily.
- Automated reports: Live status and progress of the test are available in automated test reports and analysis.
- Single interface: With a single interface, you can perform testing on desktop, web, and mobile.
- Keyword-oriented test: You can easily separate the steps of the test, action taken, objects and data because of the keyword-inbuilt framework.
Pros of TEST COMPLETE:
- TestComplete offers free training and support
- The automated UI tests it performs are reusable
- Provides cross-browser and multiple device testing along with parallel testing
- The software is easy to use, and no specific expertise is required
- Vigorous object identification engine
- Suitable for uninterrupted testing
- Live access to the newest devices, resolutions, webs, operating systems
Cons of TEST COMPLETE:
- Sorting folders is not easy
- Documents format work is not compatible
- The latest versions are slower
- GIT integration is missing
Cost: $2,256 per licensing is the starting price
7. SILK TEST:
Silk Test is a functional and regression testing tools used for the automation purpose of enterprise applications. It deals with object-based execution. A wide range of technologies can be tested through this software, such as Mobile, Java, DOM, Firefox, and many more.
Features of SILK TEST:
- Wizard-Driven: SilkTest has the wizard set up. It is the user interface that presents dialog boxes with the testing steps.
- Customized error recovery: It has an in-built error recovery process that is customizable.
- Multiple characteristics: It provides workflows for recorded tests, workflows for connecting test cases, or any content of test data
- Animated mode: SilkTest offers an animated run mode through which test scripts can be replayed.
Pros of SILK TEST:
- Compatible with web testing, mobile, enterprise applications, SAP, Oracle, etc
- Accelerates the functional and regression testing automation
- Uninterrupted testing can be continued
- Testing can be performed on multiple browsers and platforms
- Anyone can use the software. No particular expertise or skill needed
- One of the strongest visual regression testing tools for automation analysis
- SilkTest offers speed and flexibility that helps in rapid changes in application
Cons of SILK TEST:
- Installation and configuration are a little complicated
- There are a lot of features available, but no proper guide is placed
- There is less community support in terms of other testing tools
- The script generated after testing is purely dependent on on-screen positioning
TimeShiftX is also known as time travel software. Through this software, date stimulation can be achieved. With the help of a virtual clock, the date is shifted to the future or past without changing the system’s clock, and no code editing or server isolation is required. Once the TimeShitX is enabled, it directly takes to the temporal testing page. This way, it saves plenty of time and resources, and you can perform your time-shifting test.
Features of TIMESHIFTX:
- Direct time travel: Just enable TimeShitX, and you can time travel in the future and past. No need to change codes, alter the system’s clock, or isolate servers.
- Active Directory Harmony: One can safely change the date forward and backdated in the active directory, Kerberos, LDAP, and many other domains.
- All Software Compatible: TimeShiftX is compatible with every database and application, such as Java, PeopleSoft, .Net, Microsoft, SQL, Guidewire, SAP, etc
Pros of TIMESHIFTX:
- A future dated testing option is there in the existing test environment
- No code modification is needed to perform the future date testing
- A virtual time layer is created, and it doesn’t affect the system
- The granular clock can be created and tested
- Unlimited time travel
- Users often complain about system files and timestamps getting corrupted
- Time consuming, active directory and Kerberos limits the software
- It is very expensive, and a lot of resources are required
Read Also: Regression Testing In Agile
Testdrive is a quality software used for automation testing purposes. It works great with web browsers, GUIs, Java, Flex, and Silverlight. It supports the responsive web apps supported on mobile.
Features of TESTDRIVE:
- Code-free: TestDrive does not use codes or programming skills. Non-technical individuals can also perform the testing
- Robust object recognition: You only see what is important. Hence, identifying and validating the important properties are simple
- Modular Scripts: TestDrive scripts separate the instructions and navigate from logic, test, data drivers, and success criteria. A few scripts to maintain that can be reused
- Cross Application: TestDrive is a single test interface and embraces multiple browsers, applications, and technologies, looks after the end-to-end testing procedure
Pros of TESTDRIVE:
- TestDrive is a patented annotation technology that thinks like humans, making it capable to handle the changes proficiently.
- It is a code-free regression and functional testing tool. No programming expertise is needed and is suitable for business users.
- The best part is the software does not change even when some error occurs because it thinks like humans and knows how to recover.
- No need to specify which fields to watch. It provides a complete comparison of results.
- Eliminates manual testing, reduces time and provides immense test coverage, and accomplishes agile automation.
Cons of TESTDRIVE:
- Because of numerous functionalities and steps, users get confused at times
- TestDrive is slow and heavy, and it keeps crashing
- Users also experience the mapping is missing between test and what is being tested
10. RANOREX STUDIO:
Ranorex is one of the advanced testing tools used for desktop applications, mobile applications, or webs. This test tool also offers codeless automation testing.
The test is data-driven and consists of a shareable object repository, and has a fine quality of object recognition.
With Ranorex, the test reports produced are straightforward and are completely customizable. It detects detailed error logs and screenshots along with videos.
Features of RANOREX STUDIO:
- Edit and record actions: Actions can be recorded through a Ranorex recorder, and steps can be added to the recording
- Strong Code editor: Ranorex Studio supports the Microsoft .NET framework. Adaptive test automated scripts can be created here
- Customizable Report: It is a thorough analysis tool that analyzes and detects the glitch early. A fully customized report is extracted in XML format with each observation.
- Keyword determined to test: Understandable keywords are used to make it user friendly and reusable for non-technical people
- Accurate Object identification: Ranorex studio identifies dynamic elements and maintains in object repository accurately
Pros of RANOREX STUDIO:
- This tool integrates with other tools seamlessly and supports the latest and old web applications like windows, terminal emulators
- UFT is so advanced still it is user friendly and easy to learn. The test reports are customized and accurate.
- UFT supports component-based testing that supports strong and dynamic business process testing automatically
- It improves the efficiency of regression and functional testing that lead to a lot of automation or repetitive jobs
Cons of RANOREX STUDIO:
- Licensing cost is higher, and it is difficult to afford
- Creating automation is easy as the scripting time is lesser. However, the execution takes ages
- During long automation execution and running scripts browser gets crashed frequently
- The testing is also chargeable, so, you need to purchase what you need.
Cost: $3,590.00 per licensing
11. TELERIK TEST STUDIO:
TELERIK TEST STUDIO is a one-stop solution for functional testing, regression, and API testing automation. It supports the real coding languages of C# or VB.Net. It is suitable for the record, playback, and descriptive scripts.
Features of TELERIK TEST STUDIO:
- Strong test recorder: There is no need to write the test codes each time. The recorder can export the output in functional test codes
- Multiple browsers: You do not need to duplicate your test codes for different browsers each time. With the recorded test, you can play it across all browsers
Pros of TELERIK TEST STUDIO:
- An active screen is available where the user can simultaneously refer to the screen
- To identify the objects, it uses DOM structure
- It integrates with the team foundation server easily
- The maintenance of the test script is simple
- One can integrate with VS code
Cons of TELERIK TEST STUDIO:
- Licensing cost is present
- Customer support can be availed of when the license is renewed
- Setting up add-in source quality is mandatory
- Users find difficulties while working with relative objects
Cost: the licensing cost starts from $2,499.00
Serenity is a behavior-driven development (BDD) application and is one of the best regression testing tools with an open-source library. Through this, developers can easily write understandable and efficient automated acceptance regression tests. It is compatible with numerous automated testing tools.
Features of Serenity:
- Descriptive reports: With the test results, Serenity produces exemplified and descriptive reports that show what the application does and how it works.
- Complete test status: It doesn’t only indicate what tests were executed, but it also displays what all have been tested and what the outcome is.
- Screenplay Pattern: High-quality automated embracing tests considering the best principles of software engineering is what screenplay pattern is.
Pros of Serenity:
- Serenity integrates the best with Selenium and supports web testing
- With the screenplay pattern, the tests are highly readable, scalable, and easy to maintain
- While using Serenity, building your automation framework is not required
- The business users, testers, and developers can collaborate easily
Cons of Serenity:
- It is time-consuming in terms of creating features files
- Writing automation codes are time-consuming
- Proficient communication is required to write feature files
- The dependency is a lot on the BDD documents
TestingWhiz is a codeless automated regression testing tool. It is intuitive and reliable. Its strong architecture and Flexible Automation Scripting Technology (FAST) make it stand out.
It is a FAST automation engine that has a job scheduler and visual recorder. Its strength is to give a continuous server incorporation facility that supports dynamic test data, and the methods used can be reused.
Features of TestingWhiz:
- Fast Automation Engine: TestingWhiz offers a fast automation engine to create automated test cases which are in a keyword and data-driven structure
- Object Eye Recorder: The smart object eye in-built into the recorder, controls the recording and storage of the complex test cases
- Visual Recorder: The visual recorder records on-screen inputs and simplifies the automation testing on the web, desktop, widgets, etc.
Pros of TestingWhiz:
- TestingWhiz features multiple commands
- It is an easy to use automation tool
- Keyword-driven and data-driven testing is one of its specializations
- All the file formats are supported, such as DOS, .exe, file, Bat
- Testing is simple, speedy, and flexible
Cons of TestingWhiz:
- Users experience documentation possibilities are less
- The best experience is only for Windows
- Automation is difficult on a desktop
Cost: The trial is free but a quotation based price plan is followed
14. QA Wizard:
Automated functional and regression testing is performed through QA Wizard. It supports testing on Web, Windows, Java applications, and web applications. This single application can be used for both functional and load testing.
Features and Pros of QA Wizard:
- The application is user-friendly and can be used by anyone
- The application repository is used to maintain the test assets
- It records the scripts that can be played back when in need
- It offers data-driven test results
Cons of QA Wizard:
- Training manuals or docs are missing from the latest updates
- At times the testing goes slow
- UI needs to be a little easier to use
Cost: Per computer the cost is around $30
15. AdventNet QEngine:
AdventNet QEngine is named as enterprise standard software. It is a browser-based automation tool for testing purposes. It is used for functional testing and regression testing web services/applications. It also helps the Professionals of QA and tests automation engineers to enhance performance and save time and resources.
Features of AdventNet QEngine:
- Geographical flexibility: The tests can be performed from any location using a browser and the QEngine tool installed in the client’s system.
- In-built repository: The scripts and results are stored in a centralized server that leads to an in-built repository resulting in parallel testing at a time by multiple people.
- Cross-platform: QEngine supports multi-platforms where the recoded scripts can be replayed and reused.
- Multi-browser compatibility: AdventNet QEngine supports multiple browsers such as Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.
Pros of AdventNet QEngine:
- Central storage of the scripts is one of the major advantages
- One can perform the test anytime anywhere
- It provides the option to track the testing sessions with cookies or URLs
- To analyze the web application status, the reports are extracted in HTML and graphs
Cost: Free trial for 15 days after that a cost of $799 is applied
Hottest is a tool that is based on scripts and is used to test and standardize web applications, servers, proxy servers, and browsers. Using the same test script Hottest can imitate the client and server.
Features of Hottest:
- HTTP based tests: It deals with all the functionalities related to HTTP and executes HTTP-based testing
- Free Open Source: The source code is available free of cost and can also be modified
Screenster is a cloud-based automation visual regression testing tools software.
Features of Screenster:
- Visual and Content detection: Screenster, with its algorithms, compares the test results to the baseline and determines any change in the Visual or Content.
- Smart Selectors: Any movement or changed element from the page is traced automatically with its smart selectors.
- Cloud-based: The tests can be performed on the cloud or you need to download the Screenster server and install it on-prem.
Pros of Screenster:
- The test can run without an internet connection
- The automation of test cases can be in 5 minutes
- You just need to type the URL on the Screenster server, and you can proceed
- Tests and results can be accessed by the entire team with the browser
- Over 95% of the test cases are recorded efficiently compared to human coded test
Cons of Screenster:
- Test run in the cloud is slow at times and is limited to 8 minutes only
- The tests can be performed only in windows with no internet
- In terms of dynamic content, the tool does not work effectively
Cost: Screenster pricing starts from $100.00 per month.
The main objective of functional regression testing is to determine any discrepancies between old code and new code and if the applied changes are working as per the expectations.
In simple terms, with the help of visual regression testing tools, it is checked whether the foregoing functionality of the application is working effectively and new changes have not affected it or introduced any bugs.
A wide variety of web regression testing tools are available in the market today, and a few of the major tools have been stated in the above article.
If regression analysis is something you are looking forward to for your special projects, then connecting to an established software testing agency will be the best option as they will provide a comprehensive roadmap as per your exact requirements.
TestGrid is a one-stop solution where you can create, execute, and continuously develop automated tests without any code snippet. It is an integrated tool that makes your test experience easy and flexible.
It is compatible with cross-browser and multiple OS versions, having Cloud and on-premise set up with secured access. Get on board with Test Grid for end-to-end solutions for your automated regression testing tools requirement all in one place.
The outstanding scriptless automation testing through TestGrid is the best decision because it is user-friendly and saves time, money, and resources. The quality of testing is outstanding, with a few outliers. Therefore, wait no more and quickly sign up to TestGrid and avail of the benefits.