Debunking the Myths Around Codeless Test Automation
The human race has always been riddled with innumerable myths and notions for as long as history dates back. Some of them have been busted by scientific justifications, some due to lack of evidence, and some keep lingering awaiting to be nullified.
With every new advancement, newer myths get surfaced, for the sheer lack of clear knowledge or perhaps the knack of it. Codeless testing automation is no exception to the age-old phenomenon.
In the history of software testing, as technology advanced, newer testing mechanisms developed and took over the whole testing milieu. From scripted and elaborate testing to automated testing and the latest, codeless test automation, the journey has been quite eventful.
Over the years as the transition took place in the software testing universe, newer myths emerged and started making rounds of the rooms. Codeless test automation, too, has its own share, which we will be debunking today as we proceed with our blog.
End-to-End Testing on real iOS, Android Devices & Browsers
What is Codeless Test Automation?
Codeless or no-code test automation is an alternative testing mechanism where the tests are automated without involving a single line of additional coding once the tool is put into use. It comes in handy when you are running low on budget, time, and/or resources as manual intervention is negligible.
It also offers a better ROI and a quicker turnaround time and can be used by manual testers with limited coding capabilities. Although, it too has its limitations as versatility is highly crippled owing to the lack of coding iterations.
Read also: Scriptless Test Automation – The Complete Guide
Myths about Codeless Testing
Despite all the edges it comes with, the shortcomings that codeless test automation possess have attracted several myths and misconceptions around it. Our effort today will be towards busting those myths and unfurling the facts.
- Codeless implies no scripting at all: Well, this is only partially correct. While it is true that you need not create and apply any codes manually when using codeless test automation, it doesn’t imply there is no coding involved at all. It is simply that the codes are auto-generated by the testing tool using AI/ML/NLP.
- Lacks flexibility: The moment we hear it is codeless, we pre-conceive that it lacks the flexibility to add customized functionalities. But that is not the case. Several advanced codeless automation tools have the capabilities to be customized to add additional functionalities should there be a need. You just need to choose the right tool for your purpose.
- Record-and-playback: This myth has been making rounds of the table since the early 2000s but doesn’t hold any truth in itself. Unlike a record-and-playback testing mechanism, codeless test automation tools have the innate features of reusability and maintainability. They can automatically accommodate the coding changes easily while functioning.
- Needs zero coding skills: This myth arose from the deception of its name, codeless automation. While it is true that codeless test automation tools don’t require manual coding intervention most of the time, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you do not need any coding skills. While these can be handled by people with limited coding skills, you will always need at least the basic coding knowledge for complex scenarios that need some iterations in the automation.
- Difficult to collaborate: this still held good when data used to be stored in computers and hard drives, but not for modern codeless automation tools when the cloud is the new storage drive. You can always store the data in the cloud and collaborate remotely as and when needed.
- Pocket pinching: When you compare the cost of using a codeless automation tool versus having a software engineer on board who develops and codes the test cases every time, the expense of indulging a codeless automation tool is hardly pea-sized. If you take the investment in terms of effort, resources, and time, the cost involvement would seem even more economical.
- Vendor lock-in: With the new guidelines such as GDPR and HIPAA in place, vendor lock-in is passé today. Your data is safe with you making vendor data migration easier.
Facts About codeless automation?
Over the last few years, codeless automation has gained immense popularity within the tester community owing to its ease of use and quicker resolution. When we look at the diverse reason what makes this testing automation mechanism a hit among the software testers, the following key reasons top the list:
- Minimum scripting requirements: As the name suggests, this doesn’t require additional coding, allowing even those testers with limited coding knowledge to be able to perform the software tests with ease. The UI of codeless test automation tools is developed in such a way that the scripting requirements are taken care of automatically by the innate capabilities of the tools.
- Time saver: One major handicap that testers often face is the tight delivery time deadline. No-code test automation is swift as there is no coding involved to frame the test cases and frameworks.
- Easy to use: The absence of complicated coding scripts makes it more easily understandable by stakeholders who lack coding knowledge including product owners, business analysts, or subject matter experts. This also amplifies the reusability of test cases in performing user acceptance testing among non-techies.
- Easier to run cross-browser and parallel tests: This is the best option for testing less complex cross-browser and parallel testings to save time and effort as these repeat similar test scenarios.
- Effortless maintenance: While, for scripted test automation you need to create and modify the codes every time there is a change in the test framework or scenario, in the case of codeless automation the test mimics a specific architecture and framework that works for every test case in a project.
- Reusability: Most of the commonly used test steps in a codeless are developed in such a way that they can easily be replicated and used in multiple test cases.
- Reliability: Given the fact that a lot of the pain pertaining to coding is resolved by the AI/ML in codeless test automation tools, these are extremely reliable among the tester community.
- Superior reporting: Unlike coded tests, codeless tests do not need additional coding for reporting, making the process simpler and better.
- Most agile: For agile testing requirements, codeless test automation tools are the best bets as they save a lot of time and effort in terms of training resources or writing codes. These tools are also useful in facilitating performance testings and exploratory testings.
- Better ROI: Owing to the fact that codeless test automation requires a considerably lower investment be it in terms of time, money, or skilled resources, the ROI (return on investment) is much higher compared to its scripted counterparts.
Read also: Why Scriptless Automated Testing is the Need of the Hour
With every new technology surfacing in the tech world, there will be a gush of airy myths and misconceptions flowing too. But it is with the continuous efforts of the dexterous workforce and modern technology advancement that such notions will also get nullified with time.
The advent of codeless test automation tools has been a boon to the software testing community who can now save substantially in terms of time, efforts, economic investments, and resources while guaranteeing a faster TAT and better ROI. Let no myth hold you back from using this novel technology anymore.