Conformance testing is a known testing type, but there are very few actually who understand this testing and its uses. Before jumping onto the benefits of Conformance testing, let us first understand what is Conformance Testing?
Conformance Testing: Definition, Need, and Guide to Perform
What is Conformance Testing?
Conformance testing, also known as compliance testing, is a specific component of conformity assessment. It is usually a testing activity that assesses whether a particular product, service, or process obeys the general rules, regulations, and specified standards. Testing is done in either logical or physical testing that includes elements of mathematical or chemical testing.
You can market the products or services well after passing the compliance test. A proper certification has been provided stating the verification of the product or service and its compliance with the regulations and specified standards.
Manufacturers and distributors highly depend on such certifications because that is the only medium through which they can safely advertise the product or service and assure the customers that the product complies with specified standards and is safe for use.
End-to-End Testing on real iOS, Android Devices & Browsers
Various Forms of Conformance Testing
Conformance testing standards are usually set by the government and allied bodies. A product or service is only safe for market launch when they are following these standards. Hence these regulatory bodies commonly identify three conformance testing or assessment schemes for various products and services.
● First-Party Assessment- This usually is a self-assessment process where the company or organization aiming to launch a new product or service runs a compliance test on it themselves with all possible information and no indulgence from an outsider. They can also perform a conformance test on an existing product or service to check whether they follow the technical standards.
● Second-Party Assessment– It is not so widely used method of compliance testing. It checks if the product is safe to use and is under the standard regulations set by the authorities.
● Third-Party Assessment– This is the most common form of conformance testing. An independent third-party organization is responsible for conducting a conformance test on a particular company or organization’s product or service. This helps the parties to be unbiased on reaching a specific decision regarding the product and its obeying of regulations.
Why Do You Need Conformance Testing?
Every company or organization needs to run mandatory conformance testing on their products for the reasons discussed below:
- It helps to check whether the system requirements can be fulfilled. This helps in the smooth and safe running of the system overall without potential corruption.
- Every product or service needs proper documentation for its detailed integration into the system. Conformance testing helps to determine if all the appropriate documentation is done and the needful is updated into the system.
- Design and develop every product or service in a particular manner so that it can thrive in the market. Evaluate the product obliging to all the regulations and specifications. Conformance testing helps to determine if all these processes are following the rules or not.
- The testing helps in checking for all the niche requirements way in advance, which means that all the demands and needs get sorted out before. This also helps in saving a considerable amount of time and effort, in sorting things out, which otherwise is just a loss.
What Do We Need to Test in Conformance Testing?
This testing is done by a group of people who know all the regulations and laws about compliance testing of products and services. One should understand that when it comes to conformance testing, then it is very much technical in nature, which means that only the experts who have the intricate knowledge and experience of the same should do it.
One should be very particular in choosing the professionals who would carry out such testing, as there is surely no room for errors.
A service, when built, should follow all the technical standards. Following these standards from the beginning helps to avoid any discrepancies when they are launched into the market. Hence to be on the safe and positive side, the following things need to go through conformance testing.
● Thoroughly check the technical standards set by the authoritative bodies through which a product testing process is implemented.
● The state of the system in which the whole application will be developed. Better the state, the safer the process of application development.
● Certain specifications are pre-defined for a particular product or service. Test the scope of these specifications to determine the prospect of the product or application as a whole.
● There should be a particular objective of the specifications. Carefully check all these objectives.
When and How to Perform Conformance Testing?
Conformance testing checks the consistency and correctness of the overall system under which the application is working. It also checks if that system is following all specifications and regulations.
There are different methods of performing conformance testing
1. Determination of the required specifications
2. Preparation of a proper map or test plan
3. Preparation of detailed test reports and their subsequent purpose
4. Preparation of the documentation for the test designs.
Apart from these, ‘Profile’, ‘Level’ and ‘Module’ are three other vital aspects to look after.
This is a detailed guide regarding Conformance Testing and its relevant information. You can try the steps mentioned above to apply the whole process of Conformance Testing