End-to-End Testing: What is it?
End-to-end (E2E) testing is a software testing technique that analyses the working of a software or application from the starting to the ending point. It analyses the general flow of the software and how it works in different environments and checks if the application flow is occurring like it is expected. The main motive behind running this test is to check from the end user’s perspective and their experience using the particular application. Putting that perspective into a real-life condition, the software is updated and carved accordingly for an even smoother experience.
The usage of software, in the current times, is complex as it contains an “n” number of subsystems. Hence if one of those points fails, the whole system tends to crash. Thus this testing is crucial to check the proper flow and working of any software system or application.
This testing has gained a lot of popularity among various levels of software and application development companies. It is reliable and safe and thus has provided a lot of help to these companies. Apart from that, they come with added benefits which are discussed herewith
End-to-End Testing on real iOS, Android Devices & Browsers
● Every testing method offers coverage regarding the areas which are tested. It is one method that provides a wide range of coverage across testing a particular system and can be expanded depending on the requirements.
● Since end-to-end testing checks a system from the beginning till the end, it ensures that there are minimal errors in that particular application. If found, automated suggestions are there to help reduce the errors.
● Once conducted, it can run and be effective for a long time. Unlike other testing methods, end-to-end testing is a one-time investment method. Thus it reduces high costs and proves to be quite affordable in the long run.
● This testing method is an efficient way to detect bugs in a program. Many methods fail to detect minor bugs. This process extensively checks every inch of a module and sees every bug present, which is the driving force behind working the software.
Also Read SDLC Automation Demystified – Is it Beneficial?
Why End-to-End Testing?
A significant risk that many software and applications carry is the collapsing of the operations midway due to a complex system of interconnected modules. Failure in one of them results in many difficulties and can affect a system immensely. Hence the need for thorough testing comes into existence. It is one of those processes where you can check every inch and every part of the program for errors and bugs.
You can test all those interconnected modules to eliminate any significant risk of collapse. With immense test coverage, end-to-end testing proves to be quite beneficial for large applications that contain numerous subsystems.
End-to-End Testing Process
The significant points while an end-to-end testing process is carried out are
● A thorough report of the requirements from the process.
● Setting up the whole atmosphere to conduct the test along with hardware and software requirements.
● A detailed description of the systems and supporting subsystems.
● A detailed description of the operations for all systems.
● Ensuring proper standards for the tests.
● All the requirements for devising the eligible test cases.
● Complete data for every system in the process.
Why do we Need this Test?
The various reasons for performing this test are:
● Every software contains a base layer or back-end layer. This is by far the most ignored layer in terms of regular examinations. mommabe.com End-to-end tests help to analyze all the layers since it goes through every part of a system.
● Easily check the cloud storage and heterogeneous software systems with the help of end-to-end testing. It performs an all-around check on the whole system and detects subsequent problems.
● A system can often work across various architectural software structures. End-to-end testing helps to check if the system can deal with multi-tier systems and works efficiently there.
● Check the front-end features through end-to-end testing. This ensures that the software interacts appropriately with the user during the live experience.
● There are different terminals at which an application responds. These response terminals are entirely checked for proper working by end-to-end testing.
Also Read SDLC Automation Demystified – Is it Beneficial?
Using End-to-End Tests
Manually testing systems can result in loopholes and unnecessary bugs that can hinder the flow of the system. Thus end-to-end testing uses automated processes to thoroughly check through every bit of the application and detect all possible system harmers.
The various automated tools available in the market help to check all responsible modules and algorithms behind the successful working of an application in real-life scenarios.
The UI (User Interface) is extensively analyzed and corrected for existing bugs and faults to offer a smooth experience to the user. Thus for thorough start-to-end checking of software, use end-to-end testing for positive outcomes.
There are many testings that are available, and most of them only check one element or the other. However, in software, there need to be plenty of things that need to be checked. The best approach is to check everything right from scratch to the end. This is exactly where this testing fits into the picture. The biggest USP of the testing is that it checks 360 degrees which makes it give thorough results.
The end goal is to provide the user with a product that is free from even the slightest of errors. Hence, with the help of these tests, it becomes easier to provide high-quality services and products to clients. This just helps in increasing the credibility of the business in the best way possible. It is one of the best of the best testing, which tops up the quality in the most enhanced way possible.